ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Essex Street Academy is a small, project-based high school in the Lower East Side. As a member of the NY Performance Standards Consortium, ESA students are exempt from state tests and graduate by completing in-depth projects demonstrating the mastery of core skills and content. We value diversity and inclusion in our community with respect to all identities and learning styles, and we strive to continuously build a community at ESA that is affirming, inspiring, and advances racial and social justice.
The staff at ESA is committed to learning from one another and our students. Our teachers write their own curricula to be student-centered with an emphasis on authenticity, depth of understanding, and multiple perspectives. In class students examined essential questions such as “Is nationalism a force for good in the world?” and “How much do our genes really matter?”
We view our community at ESA as a family. In advisory, students build close ties while developing social-emotional skills over the course of four years together. We meet regularly as a whole school for our student-led Town Meeting to celebrate accomplishments, discuss tough issues, and just have fun. We have built a strong foundation in restorative practices as a way of strengthening and maintaining our community over time so that ESA can always be a place where all students thrive.
We are interviewing for ELA, Math, Social Studies, Science, and Language (Spanish or Spanish/French).
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement culturally responsive-sustaining, project-based curriculum
- Develop subject-specific skills in students necessary for performance based assessment tasks
- Develop strong relationships with students in order to support them academically and otherwise and to advocate for their needs within the school
- Develop accessible and engaging curriculum
- Modify instruction and learning materials to meet the needs of all students (including those with IEPs)
- Collaborate and consult with Special Education Teachers
- Be an advisor to a small group of students and teach advisory class 2x a week
- Experience working with young people
- Passionate about building strong relationships with students, staff, and families and to fostering community within the classroom and throughout the school
- Enthusiastic about working in teams with both adults and students to pursue collective growth
- Committed to advancing racial and social justice and to fostering an affirming and inspiring learning experience for all students.
If you are interested in applying to work at Essex Street Academy, please send your resume to the hiring committee at hiring (@) essexstreetacademy.org
Our hiring process is as follows:
- Candidate sends resume and cover letter to hiring(@)essexstreetacademy.org
- An ESA member of the hiring team will reach out to you and schedule a phone interview
- Phone interview
- In-person school visit: interview with students and staff on the hiring committee and demo lesson
Please follow us on instagram to learn more!