ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Essex Street Academy is a small, project-based high school in the Lower East Side. As a member of the NY Performance Standards Consortium, ESA students are exempt from state tests and graduate by completing in-depth projects demonstrating the mastery of core skills and content. We value diversity and inclusion in our community with respect to all identities and learning styles, and we strive to continuously build a community at ESA that is affirming, inspiring, and advances racial and social justice.
The staff at ESA is committed to learning from one another and our students. Our teachers write their own curricula to be student-centered with an emphasis on authenticity, depth of understanding, and multiple perspectives. This past year, ESA teacher designed innovative curricula that examined important questions such as “Is nationalism a force for good in the world?” and “How much do our genes really matter?”
We view our community at ESA as a family. Our foundation is advisory, where our students build close ties while developing social-emotional skills over the course of four years together. We meet regularly as a whole school for our student-led Town Meeting to celebrate accomplishments, discuss tough issues, and just have fun. We have built a strong foundation in restorative practices as a way of strengthening and maintaining our community over time so that ESA can always be a place where all students thrive.
- Experience working with young people
- Passionate about building strong relationships with students, staff, and families and to fostering community within the classroom and throughout the school
- Enthusiastic about working in teams with both adults and students to pursue collective growth
- Committed to advancing racial and social justice and to fostering an affirming and inspiring learning experience for all students.
We have filled all of our open positions, but we encourage interested educators in all disciplines to send resumes if they would like to be considered for Essex Street Academy in the future.
If you are interested in applying to work at Essex Street Academy, please send your resume to the hiring committee at hiring (@) essexstreetacademy.org
Our hiring process is as follows:
- Send resume and cover letter
- An ESA member of the hiring team will reach out to you and schedule a phone interview
- Phone interview
- Zoom Interview with possible school visit
Please follow us on instagram to learn more!!